Computer Repair 2A builds on the foundation of Computer Repair 1A, and continues along the Cisco IT-Essentials curriculum, getting deeper into PC setup, repair and troubleshooting. Students taking this course should be fully prepared for the A+ certification exam. The A+ certification exam is not a course requirement, but is offered optionally to any students who would like to take it.
Chapter 7. Network Concepts – Explain the operation of networks
- 7.1 Principles of Networking – Explain components and types of computer networks.
- 7.2 Networking Standards – Explain the purpose and characteristics of networking standards.
- 7.3 Physical Components of a Network – Explain the purpose of physical components of a network.
- 7.4 Basic Networking Concepts and Technologies – Configure network connectivity between PCs.
Chapter 8. Applied Networking – Configure devices to connect to LANs, the Internet, and Cloud services.
- 8.1 Computer to Network Connection – Connect a computer to wired and wireless networks.
- 8.2 ISP Connection Technologies – Explain the purpose and characteristics of ISP connection technologies.
- 8.3 Internet Technologies – Explain Cloud concepts and networked-host services.
- 8.4 Common Preventive Maintenance Techniques Used for Networks – Explain how to perform preventive maintenance on networks using common techniques.
- 8.5 Basic Troubleshooting Process for Networks – Explain how to troubleshoot networks.
Chapter 9. Laptops and Mobile Devices – Explain how to configure, repair, upgrade, maintain and troubleshoot laptops and mobile devices.
- 9.1 Laptop Components – Explain the purpose and characteristics of laptops.
- 9.2 Laptop Configuration – Explain how to configure laptop power settings and wireless settings.
- 9.3 Laptop Hardware and Component Installation and Configuration – Explain how to remove and install laptop components.
- 9.4 Mobile Device Hardware Overview – Explain the purpose and characteristics of mobile devices.
- 9.5 Common Preventive Maintenance Techniques for Laptops and Mobile Devices – Explain how to perform common preventive maintenance techniques for laptops and mobile devices.
- 9.6 Basic Troubleshooting Process for Laptops and Mobile Devices – Explain how to troubleshoot laptops and mobile devices.
Chapter 10. Mobile, Linux, and OS X Operating Systems – Explain how to configure, secure and troubleshoot mobile, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- 10.1 Mobile Operating Systems – Explain the purpose and characteristics of mobile operating systems.
- 10.2 Methods for Securing Mobile Devices – Explain methods for securing mobile devices.
- 10.3 Network Connectivity and Email – Explain how to configure network connectivity and email on mobile devices.
- 10.4 Linux and OS X Operating Systems – Explain the purpose and characteristics of Linux and OS X operating systems.
- 10.5 Basic Troubleshooting Process for Mobile, Linux, and OS X Operating Systems – Explain how to troubleshoot Mobile, Linux, and OS X operating systems.
Chapter 11. Printers – Install a printer to meet requirements.
- 11.1 Common Printer Features – Explain the purpose and characteristics of different types of printers.
- 11.2 Installing and Configuring Printers – Install a printer.
- 11.3 Sharing Printers – Configure printer sharing.
- 11.4 Maintaining and Troubleshooting Printers – Explain how to improve printer availability
Chapter 12. Security – Implement basic host, data, and network security.
- 12.1 Security Threats – Explain security threats.
- 12.2 Security Procedures – Configure IT security.
- 12.3 Common Preventive Maintenance Techniques for Security- Manage IT security on an ongoing basis.
- 12.4 Basic Troubleshooting Process for Security – Explain how to troubleshoot basic security problems.
Chapter 13. The IT Professional – Explain the roles and responsibilities of the IT professional.
- 13.1 Communication Skills and the IT Professional – Explain why good communication skills are a critical part of IT work
- 13.2 Ethical and Legal Issues in the IT Industry – Explain appropriate behavior when faced with the legal and ethical issues that arise in the IT industry
- 13.3 Call Center Technicians – Explain the call center environment and technician responsibilities.
Chapter 14. Advanced Troubleshooting – Troubleshoot advanced hardware and software problems.
- 14.1 Computer Components and Peripherals – Troubleshoot computer components and peripherals.
- 14.2 Operating Systems – Troubleshoot operating systems.
- 14.3 Networks – Troubleshoot networks.
- 14.4 Security – Troubleshoot security.
The IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software curriculum provides an introduction to the computer hardware and software skills needed to help meet the growing demand for entry-level information and communication technology (ICT) professionals. The curriculum covers the fundamentals of PC technology, networking, and security, and also provides an introduction to advanced concepts.
Students who complete this course will be able to describe the internal components of a computer, assemble a computer system, install an operating system, and troubleshoot using system tools and diagnostic software. Hands-on labs and Virtual Laptop and Virtual Desktop learning tools help students develop critical thinking and complex problem-solving skills. Cisco Packet Tracer simulation-based learning activities promote the exploration of network and networking security concepts and allow students to experiment with network behavior.
IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software is a hands-on, career-oriented e-learning solution with an emphasis on practical experience to help students develop fundamental computer skills, along with essential career skills. The curriculum helps students prepare for entry-level ICT career opportunities and the CompTIA A+ certification, which helps students differentiate themselves in the marketplace to advance their careers. In addition, the course provides a learning pathway to the CCNA Routing and Switching curricula.